Tuesday, July 15, 2008

so that's why February is King Crab month...


I have a new favorite TV show. I know it is not a new show and has been around for a couple of years, but it is new to me.
If you haven't seen The Deadliest Catch, you really should take a few minutes and turn to the Discovery Channel. Lately it has been on about 30% of the time during their scheduled programing.
The great thing about the show is that you can jump in the middle of the series and not miss out on anything even if you missed the previous show - it is all the same thing: bait the pots, throw the pots in the sea, pull out the pots, sort the crab, get hit with big waves, break ice, captains smoking and downing Red Bulls. Great stuff.
It really is quite amazing (and mesmorizing) what these guys go through in the Bering Sea so crab shacks and Sizzlers all over the world can serve up Alaskan King crab and the like. I found a video that shows some of the waves that they experience...



So, for all of you Deadliest Catch fans out there, who is your favorite captain and ship? If you don't like the show, why not?

5 comments:

neffgang said...

Toad -

Steph and Gabe could give you up-to-the-minute results and information about the boat, the crew and the size of the catch for every team on the show.

While I'm a big fan too, I couldn't tell you how far out of Dutch Harbor each boat is located. But they could.

Just ask them where the Cornelia Marie is fishing and you'll know what I mean.

tortured mormon mom said...

Johnathon is my favorite captain. Capt. Keith is my least favorite. I also usually know how far out each ship is from Dutch Harbor!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Time for a new post!

Todd said...

Julie-
Since you so kindly reminded me, I have added a new post