Thursday, July 26, 2007

Items found while cleaning out my In-laws house

My wife has been spending a lot of time lately at her parents house. Her parents have decided to sell the home where they have lived for the past 31 years. After 31 years in the same place, some people accumulate a lot of things. Not my in-laws, they have accumulated a lot of things times 10.
Wendy has been a good sport in helping them get ready for the move next week. Most of the time has been spent sorting through old papers from 4 deceased grandparents, one deceased great-aunt and about 20 years worth of random papers.

I have helped out a couple of times. Mostly I have carried boxes to the garage, but I also got up the guts to help sort papers.

Here are a couple of things I found this past week:
Dog tags from Wendy's grandpa worn in WWII
Copy of "Stars and Stripes" announcing the end of WWII
An amputation kit from WWII (Grandpa Nelson was a doctor too)
30 zippers still in plastic from around 1920
7000 Yen
75 Canadian dollars
$250 in gift certificates to Gastronomy restaurants
An un-opened birthday card from 1984 with $5 inside

Ok, so some of this stuff was pretty cool - but for all of the good stuff, I found heaps of stuff that went right into the trash or a recycling bin.

Luckily, Wendy hasn't inherited the saving gene, but I think it skips a generation as Tillie saves absolutely everything.

2 comments:

neffgang said...

Todd -

What the heck? So now you're a blogger? Good work.

So, how's abouts taking all to Market Street for some Chouda?

-Brian

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Score, a direct hit!