Monday, November 26, 2007

enlightening moment

I had a very long weekend that included:

Wednesday night ham dinner
doing dishes after said dinner
cooking a rosemary spiced turkey
eating Thanksgiving dinner
cleaning up after the dinner
working on Friday
doing some shopping
watching Utah give the game away to The School Down South (I puked a little in my mouth just now)
putting up the Christmas tree
putting up decorations

After doing all of that, I noticed that one of the canned lights in our kitchen was out. No big deal, we already had the ladder out for the Christmas tree.

I grabbed a light bulb from the basement and went up to replace the bulb. Wendy was using the ladder for some re-arranging of the nutcrackers so I decided to use one of our tall bar stools (or as Isaak calls them, barf stools... "Daddy, why do we call them barf stools?").

So I climbed up and reached up as high as I could to get the light bulb out. I removed it and replaced it with a new light bulb. And then I had an epiphany. I was removing a light bulb that was there before we bought our house and this was a light bulb that we purchased for our house.

Why is this such a big deal, right? I mean we have been here for a year and a half.

Well, at this time of year when we all pause to give thanks, a little light bulb made me think of how thankful I am to be in a house. After 8 1/2 years of marriage, losing a job, going back to school, starting a career over, saving, wishing, hoping and praying, we got into our first home last year.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Todd & Wendy -
How in the hell did I find you? I'm not sure but it happened. Look at your cute kids and what is up with the red hair? Glad you are still listening to Chris Isaak after all these years. I'm going to have to add you to my link list if that is cool, I'm sure people would love to catch up!
Happy Holidays!
Luna

Todd said...

Lori -
Good to hear from you.

I guess we like Chris Isaak a bit around our house - like him enough to name our kid after him.

Todd

Anonymous said...

Hey - found you through Lori's blog...you were calling me the horrible b-word. You have one more kid since I saw you last (love the name Jonah, by the way) and I have two. Meredith (26 mos), and Ace (1 mo).

Apparently we're neighbors. Darryl and I live on about 400 North and 600 East in Bountiful, and Jon, Jenny, and Ian live by Adelaide Elementary School in NSL. Go figure.

Todd said...

Sorry to call you the b word, Liz. Just to be clear, the b word was your nick name about 25 years ago, not what most people think of as the B word!

So now that we are all in Davis County, we need to get together and plan a Bountiful/NSL road rally. Heather Dalton (can't remember her married name) lives in Bountiful too - I ran into her a few months ago at the Costco.