Friday, June 20, 2008

So Cal trip - day 3

Our first day at Disneyland for the trip.


Since we had three families with kids and my parents we ended up taking 4 vehicles to Disneyland, with the plan to meet at some point around lunch (we left around 10:30 in the morning from the condo). My sister Laurie was also going to meet us, coming from her hotel across the street. Since Laurie wasn't using her parking pass at the Fairfield, she graciously offered it to us, saving us $11 in parking. We had also planned to use her hotel room for a nap room if any of the young kids got too tired.


We walked across the street and through the security check and my kids were filled with excitement. I have to admit, I was quite excited as well. I think I may be as excited to go to Disneyland as the kids, mostly because I love to see it through their eyes.


We met up with Jim, Candace and kids (Parker, Conner and Abby) and went through the gates. Since it was a weekend (shhhh... we went on Sunday) it was pretty busy already, but we knew that it would be the only day to see some of the events (fireworks, Electric Light Parade, Fanstasmic, etc).
I have big group phobia and have trouble moving with 5-6 people around the parks, let alone 20 people. But then again, it is fun to go on some rides with the entire group. We found my parents and Brent, Emily and kids (Whitney, Zack, Bella and Grace) getting fast passes for Indiana Jones and then the entire group went on Pirates of the Carribean together.


The first few hours were mostly a blur, but if I recall, we also went on Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters before heading over to Disney's California Adventure to see the High School Musical performance.



Even though it was hot sitting in the main plaza at DCA (Disney's california Adventure), we were able to get a great spot right in the front of where the show was performed. During the show, they sang and danced to a few High School Musical 2 numbers and pulled kids from the audience. All of the Neff kids went out and danced with them. It was fun watching and kids really enjoyed it.








After HSM2, we decided that we needed to go somewhere a bit cooler and decided to see the show, It's tough to be a Bug. We had missed this show on every other trip to DCA in it was going down for a refurbishment the next day, so we went over to the show. We all picked up the 3D glasses and went in, right before it started. This show is a big 3D movie inside of a cave, hosted by Flick from "A Bug's Life". He introduces all sorts of bugs and the bugs each react to the crowd (stink bugs shoots a cloud of sulfur, a bug sprays the crowd with acid, etc). The 3D film with the real effects like water dripping and bees stinging (the bench pokes you in the back and bottom) made for a great show. We thought Jonah would get scarred, but he was laughing the entire time. Wendy, Tillie and Isaak all screamed when spiders dropped from the ceiling and got the pokes in the back, but Jonah was really enjoying it.



We picked up some fast passes to Soarin' over California and then went to eat dinner and try to go on a few other rides at DCA. Jonah and I watched the Pixar Play Parade while the group went on some other rides and then all went on Soarin' except for me and Jonah. After they finished, Isaak and I jumped back on Soarin' as we still had a couple of fast passes.


Brent and Emily got spots for the Electric Parade and I went with Tillie, Whitney, Isaak, Zack and Laurie to ride on the Tower of Terror. Zack got a little frightened by the show in the Library and so he opted to sit the ride out with Laurie. I rode with the girls and Isaak. He was a bit nervous, but enjoyed the ride.

Mom and dad were done for the night and couldn't find Jim's family. We decided to skip the parade, leaving Brent's family and went back over to Disneyland where we went on Autopia. Laurie came with us took Tillie and Isaak on Space Mountain again. While they were there, the fireworks started so Wendy and I sat and watched with Jonah. He had been a great kid all day (he even napped in his stroller for 2 hours) and really like the fireworks.


It had been a long day so we decided to leave around 10:00. We walked back to the Fairfield and said goodbye to Laurie and Tillie since Tillie was going to sleep over with Laurie at the Hotel.


I think Isaak and Jonah were both asleep within about 2 minutes in the car.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I just love Disneyland! I'm glad you buy treats (like the churros pictured) for the kids. There are many ways to experience Disneyland.

tortured mormon mom said...

It makes me feel like I'm there. Or wish I was. We seem to have the same Disneyland trips, must have have been there together or raised by sisters?

Lori said...

so far so good - sounds like you all had fun. Here's my question - I'm not sure how old your kids are but the first thing that pops into your head when you think of someone taking a 2 year old - good idea or what the hell are you thinking?

Todd said...

lori -
I think 12 18 months old is a great time for the first trip to Disneyland. Sure, they can't go on Space Mountain, but they can still have fun and will usually like the rides. My youngest, Jonah, was 19 months old on our trip and loved it.