Monday, September 17, 2007

The Smell of Football in the Air...



I have to give a shout out to the Utes after they beat UCLA 44-6.

Oh, did I mention that they beat the #11 UCLA, the same UCLA team that beat BYU 27-17 the week before? According to the experts (ok, so just some guys at church) BYU deserves a lot of credit for Utah's win since they wore UCLA down the week before.

Alrighty then....

Back to the game this past Saturday.

There is one smell that always reminds me of Football games. Not hot popcorn. Not the smell of hot dogs. Not even the smells of Fall (leaves, crisp air, etc).

It is the smell of a cigar.

Ok, ok. I know. How could I like the smell of a cigar? It isn't that I necessarily like the smell of a cigar, but it is just that the smell of a cigar reminds me of my youth. I probably better clarify that last statement. No, my dad didn't sneak out and smoke a big stogie and the closest thing to smoking a cigar in my immediate family was when Brian would hide behind the bushes in front of our house and make pretend cigars out of dried leaves. You'll have to ask him more about that one some time.

Way back in the seventies and eighties when Utah Football sucked, there were always tickets available and I went as often as I could. Sometimes this meant that I sat in the 2 tickets that my dad had that were on the 30 yrd line instead of with the rest of his tickets. I think it was there where I would smell guys smoking their big Dominican Stogies. I doubt they were Cubans.

Anyway, the smell of a cigar still makes me think of Football, Crisp Autumn days, an Ice-Cold Coca-Cola served in a 20 ounce red and white cup and my childhood. For a couple of minutes when I was walking into Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday, I could smell a cigar being smoked in the distance and it reminded me that there was a football game and it was Autumn.

after post thoughts: Now that I think about it, maybe cigars and Utah Football have more in common then we realize. The words to Utah's Fight Song, "Utah Man" were originally: "...we drink our stein of lager and we smoke our big cigars". It was later changed to the current version "Our coeds are the fairest and each one's a shining star."

2 comments:

neffgang said...

Hey Todd, there was nothing pretend about those smokes Jim used to roll and make me smoke behind the bushes.

Anonymous said...

Oh-Brian and his memory?!?

About 15 years ago when we had season tickets, the guy in front of us would smoke nonstop. It was a little bit funny when he would show up for the BYU game in his head to toe cougar blue and chain smoke through the entire game.