Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Art Appreciation 101

Today I went to look up something on Wikipedia and noticed the article of the day was about this painting:It is called Las Meninas by Diego Velázquez. This is one of my favorite paintings by Velázquez. I have seen the original of this painting in the Prado Museum in Madrid and it is wonderful.


I remember a lecture a year or so after my mission where the professor, Nathan Winters, talked about this painting in detail, showing specifics like the artist painting his self portrait. The way that he included the parents (King and Queen of Spain) in the painting by showing them in the mirror. How the lighting higlights the young princess, but distorts the two "little people".



I also enjoy this painting by Velázquez:

The class I took from Nate Winters was one of my favorites. What is now more interesting to me is that he was the former Bishop of my wife's LDS ward when she was growing up and is a friend of their family. My in-laws have a few water colors that he painted and we have one that we need to get re-framed.



2 comments:

neffgang said...

And all this time, I thought Jack the Dripper was your favorite painter.

Keersten said...

Hey Todd it was so great to stumble onto your blog. Las Meninas is a favorite of mine too (and also after learning about it in an art hist. class.) We were just talking about you with Jon the other night. We should all get together sometime. My blog is pretty "mommy" but you can see pics of the girls at www.leapintoart.com. Hope you guys are doing great!