Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Bop Bop Bop, Pulitzer to the top...

So last night I grabbed a new book to read. It isn't a new book and I have read it before. I am going to re-read Wallace Stegner's book, Marking the Sparrow's Fall: The Making of the American West. This is a collection of stories that Stegner wrote that his son, Page, compiled.

The first few stories are about his youth in Saskatchewan, Great Falls and several about Salt Lake City. While I was reading one of the stories about his youth in SLC, I was thinking about Stegner attending East High School.

I started to think that my wife, Wendy, graduated from East High School. So she attended the same school that a Pulitzer prize winning novelist attended (Wallace Stegner) as well as the fictional Troy Bolton (High School Musical, played by Zac Efron).

Of course my 7 year old daughter, Tillie, could care less about the guy that wrote all of those books on my shelf going to her mom's high school. She does let everyone know that High School Musical was filmed where her mom went to school.

East was also attended by Roseanne Barr (she dropped out), Astronaut James Irwin and Elizabeth Smart (class of 2006)

I then started thinking about my high school, Olympus High. We can claim Karl Rove, Mark Hoffmann and Shawn Nelson (the guy that started Love Sac) as graduates.

Then again Olympus can also claim David Zabriskie. Who is David Zabriskie? He is a professional Bicycle racer and one of only Five Americans to have worn the Yellow jersey in the Tour de France.

Which graduates would you rather claim?

2 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

check out this website. This is your kind of things.
http://www.famousmormons.net/

mary said...

I was friends with David Zabriskie in High School. He is a really nice guy!!!!