Thursday, August 23, 2007

un amigo mio...

So I was listening to FM radio this morning, which I usually don't do any more. I am becoming my dad and keep the dial tuned to KSL - mostly for traffic and weather on the 9's.

Anyway, I was listening to 101.9, the End (which incidentally enough is preset right next to KSL 102.7 FM) when I heard an add for the jamboree music festival on September 8 at Thanksgiving Point. They mentioned that Toad the Wet Sprocket was playing.


I realized how out of touch I am with music when I looked up Toad the Wet Sprocket to find out when they got back together as a band. 2006. Last year. 34 tour dates last year. How did that slip by me?

Well, while looking at the lineup for the Jamboree, I noticed a band called Cub Country listed in the lineup. I had not heard of the band before, but I have heard of the front man, Jeremy Chatelain.
Jeremy has played bass in a few bands like Jets to Brazil, Handsome and Insight but that is not how know who Jeremy is.

I got to know Jeremy at Evergreen Jr. High. Jeremy wore Chuck Taylor high tops and skateboarded. I wore Chuck Taylor high tops tried to skateboard with my Town & Country skateboard that I bought from my brother Brian. Jeremy's family lived on Neff's Lane, just above 2300 East (I think his parents still live there). We had a few classes together, including LDS seminary. I recall learning to draw skulls and crossbones from Jeremy in seminary class and after school listening to punk bands at his house on vinyl albums while he tried to play the guitar. I graduated from Seminary, I don't think Jeremy did. We ran in different groups in High School but still remained friendly. I haven't seen him in years, but hear about him every once in a while as his older sister works with Wendy at OC Tanner.

So I was curious about the music he is playing these days. It sounds like Jeremy has put the hard core punk days behind him in favor of a more Americana-twang sound. You can hear a sample of it here. I downloaded the entire album and it is pretty good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd, you have waaaaaayyyyy too much time on your hands. Thanks for putting me in your blog role...twice.

Anonymous said...

Todd, really? Talk radio? My kids tell me that i'm old when I listen to talk radio. You must be getting old too!