Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Soccer Update

As some of you may remember, I have been coaching my daughter's soccer team.



Last fall, we lost 5 games and won one game. But they were improving and beat the best team on the last week.


We started out a few weeks ago with a 1 to nil win (have to use the word "nil"). The following week was a BYE and then a rain out. Last week we won, 4 to 1 on Tuesday.


The girls were really playing hard and 4 different girls scored girls - 3 of them for the first time.




Then we had a game on Saturday morning.

Cue death march music.

The girls started warming up when one of them asked who we were playing.

The green team. Green Grasshoppers

"oh, they are easy" one chimed in. Ok, the one that said it was my daughter.

The others agreed.

5 minutes into the game, the score was 3 - 0, for the green grasshoppers.

The girls of Yellow Lightning were daydreaming and their minds were not on the game.

"What is the half-time snack?"

"Coach - I have gum in my mouth" "That's ok, I do too! - now go after the ball!"

"Can I pick up a stick?"

"My aunt came to the game" (I knew that as the aunt was on the sidelines and would scream this girls name every time she was withing 10 feet of the ball)

"Who brought the snack for after the game?"

"I don't like Hannah Montana"

"I wore my shin guards on the outside of my socks today" (ok, I made that one up, but 3 girls did that for some reason on Saturday.


We ended up losing, 4 -1. The silver lining is that Tillie scored as she has in every game and the girls ended up playing a lot harder by the end of the game.

Just in time for donuts.

Thank goodness soccer was canceled for tonight.


1 comment:

Mindy Williams said...

Way to go Tils! And proud to notice that we have made the "currently browsing" list! :) Jake has yet to score, but he was a great goalie last week! OKay, they didn't come near him, but when he got on the field he yelled, not in my box, not in my box as loud as he could. did i mention he had been to an avs game recently? yeah, white trash in the making.